Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thing 2 - Library 2.0

Library 2.0 appears to be different things to different people, and each defend or blast it depending on their own view of what it is. Ok, so I suppose that's not much different from other abstract concepts such as "test-based learning" or even "democracy". But after reading the blog post by John Blyberg, and the OCLC newsletter, and after meaning to watch the video (but being hampered by having no speakers on my 'puter), what I'm taking from it is basically "be more interactive", both technology-wise and other-wise.

Hmm, let me think for a minute. Yup, that makes sense. Isn't that what libraries have been doing for a while now? You want it - we'll get it for you. I think Library 2.0 is just about "taking it to the next level" or "thinking outside of the box". Let's add "work smarter, not harder" to that list of corporate catchphrases. So we'll add blogs and wikis and other technologies to our existing mission of reaching out to people.

So doing this 23 things is part of my part to add some interaction. Redo our website, maybe do a myspace page, but also expand some of the things we're currently doing (and doing well) like book deliveries for daycares, intergenerational storytime, cooperation with the schools, etc.

So those are my disorganized thoughts about that. Trying not to edit myself too much, since from what I've seen, blogs are generally supposed to be a bit rambling... :)

No comments: